Jump to content
Title: Ysbryd y Mwynwyr - Spirit of the Miners
Wheelhouse, Bryn yr ArianOchreCwm Ystwyth
 
Water Wheel

The Tre'r Ddol Mines


Miner
Miner


Tre'r Ddôl has important connections to Ceredigion's metal mining heritage, which stretch back into prehistory. Some 4000 years ago, copper was mined in this area and archaeologists have identified prehistoric workings at Neuadd yr Ynys, to the west of the village.

Copper was used to make tools such as axe heads even before the technique of making bronze (an alloy of copper and tin) was discovered. A copper axe, that was made over 4000 years ago, has been found at Rhydypennau, near Talybont.





Bryndyfi Mine
Bryndyfi Mine

Lead, silver and copper mining became an important industry here for several decades during the 19th century and this influenced Tre'r Ddôl as much as neighbouring villages.

In the early 19th century Tre'r Ddôl was noted for its hatmakers, but by the 1860s mining had become an important source of employment.






Llangynfelyn Chimney
Llangynfelyn Chimney


Local men worked in a number of mines in the area. The closest was the Llain-hîr mine, the site of which can be seen just south of the village.

There were also mines in the hills to the east, as well as the Llangynfelyn mine to the west, the site of which is now marked by a solitary red-brick chimney.






Penrhyngerwin Shaft
Penrhyngerwin Shaft



The last mine to work in the district was at Penrhyngerwin, to the north. This mine worked during the 1930s and closed due to a fire in the shaft in 1939.






Hugh Myddleton
Hugh Myddleton


Just to the north of Tre'r Ddôl is the beautiful parkland that was once part of Lodge Park, a property of the influential Pryse family of Gogerddan, near Aberystwyth. Lodge Park has also been a home to two of the most important figures in the history of mining in Ceredigion.

Sir Hugh Myddleton, who resurrected mining in the county during the 1620s, lived there, having married into the Pryse family. Thomas Bushell, the man who Charles I entrusted to manage the rich silver-lead mines of mid-Wales after Myddleton's death, and who founded the Royal Mint at Aberystwyth Castle, also lived at Lodge Park for a time.




18th century road<br /> map of the area
18th century road
map of the area

Tre'r Ddol
Tre'r Ddol

Llain-hir Mine 1888
Llain-hir Mine 1888


The display panel in Tre'r Ddôl

The display panel in Tre'r Ddôl - you can read the text on the panel above


Read more about the project background and its work in: Talybont, Furnace, Taliesin, Bontgoch or listen to the audio files.