Jump to content
Title: Ysbryd y Mwynwyr - Spirit of the Miners
Ystrad EinionWheelhouse, Bryn yr ArianChimney, Taliesin
 

Beddrodau'r Gorffennol


New technology presents links to the past



Hafod Church


Hafod Church has a wealth of history and has strong links with the mining industry of the area. It is famous for the grave of the former owner of the Hafod Estate, Thomas Johnes and his daughter Mariamne as well as many miners who worked in the mines of Cwmystwyth one of the most well known being James Raw, who came to the area as a mining engineer and whose family still live and farm in the area today. From 1718 until the end of 2007, 2,389 people have been buried in the graveyard.





Interpretation board at Hafod graveyard


This project has involved conducting research based on the church records of mining families in the Cwmystwyth area, initiating a survey of the Hafod churchyard and producing information boards and erecting a touch screen computerised system to display the records and information for the local community and the visitor.



Group using kiosk at Eglwys Newydd




Eglwys Newydd leaflet - outside

Eglwys Newydd leaflet - inside





Approval Date: June 2007


>>>> Back to supported projects