Jump to content
Title: Ysbryd y Mwynwyr - Spirit of the Miners
Ystrad EinionChimney, TaliesinWheelhouse, Bryn yr Arian
 

Talybont, Taliesin & Furnace


A village on the main A487 trunk road between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth with a wealth of history. Famous for wool mills and mining history, the two pubs on the village green are good places to take refreshments whilst exploring the area. Why not delve deeper into the history of the area and re-trace the steps of the old miners. Just pick up a leaflet in any of the local shops, cafe's or pubs and take a walk into the hills of northern Ceredigion on footpaths that have been identified.Follow the link to find out more. You can also hear more stories about the area by downloading mp3 files and you can also visit interpretation panels located in the main villages.

Talybont 1935


Tracing its roots back to early times, Talybont grew to become the village we see now in the later 18th Century. The mines that influenced Talybont were Alltycrib, Penpombren, Erglodd, Penybanc and Bwlchglas/Hafan. Further north, the A487 passes through the villages of Tre'r Ddol, Taliesin and Furnace, which were dependent on the Brynarian, Pensarn, Llancynfelin and Pwll Roman, Lovedon and Cwm Einion mines.

It is difficult to imagine that once a large waterwheel and its associated workings such as crusher houses and smithy's dominated the centre of Talybont.
The Talybont deep adit, started in the mid 1800's stretches under the main road and village for half a mile deep into the hillside of Allt y Crib.


There has been mining and processing of metal ores in the hills around Talybont from Bronze Age & Roman times and current archaeological work in the area is improving our knowledge of this early period. In the later 18th & 19th century industry developed and the remains of mining activity are still to be seen in the countryside surrounding the village.
A number of woollen mills were built bringing work and prosperity to the area. Houses and shops were built along with shops, a garage, two banks, three chapels, a church and a school in the village. Tyrrell Place bears the name of a former mine captain that lived in the village.
Talybont 1984 from the air

By 1835 the Leri Mills were using some of the most modern equipment in the woollen industry. The flannel cloth would be sold to farmers and miners, or at fairs throughout the county and even further afield to London tailors.

Taliesin, one of the earliest recorded British poets from the 6th century, is reputed to have lived, and been buried near the village of Taliesin, approximately seven miles north of Aberystwyth.







Furnace


Furnace is a quaint little village on the A487 with an 18th century foundry for smelting iron ore. The bellows that pumped air into the charcoal-fired blast furnace were powered by the large water wheel which was driven by the River Einion plunging as a waterfall.
Furnace Falls

Take the narrow country lane from Furnace up into the hills and enjoy the scenic wooded valley called Cwm Einion (Artist's Valley). It is best to walk if you can as the road is very narrow but it is worth the uphill climb. The remains of a silver lead mine can also be seen.


Llandre Heritage

Ynys Hir Nature Reserve
Llangynfelyn Community website


>>>> Places to See